Another Stitch or Two

This weekend I was leading a class for our ASG chapter.  We are trying to hold a few classes to mentor beginning sewists in our group and to invite others who would like to sew to join us.  The pattern selected was the reversible apron pattern from the Paisley Pincushion.  this is an excellent pattern for beginners.  It offers many opportunities to practice straight and curved seams without the need to worry about fit.  Also, no little edges to turn or anything to bind.  Never being one to leave well enough alone, we did add the use of Steam-A-Seam Lite 2 to the construction process.  So much easier for a beginner to sew on a pocket when it’s already bonded firmly in place.  One of our students was just 9 years old and she did a fabulous job with her apron.  Her choice of fabric was just adorable..Yellow sparkly with butterflies and purple sparkly as the contrast.  Since I don’t have her momma’s permission (forgot to ask) I won’t post her picture here but  I will post the two aprons I made, one as a sample, and the other which went to the lesson in strategic stages for demonstration which was later finished.  And you can get a look at my messy sewing table too.

Wild-apron Pink-apron

Then later, I made myself a knit top from some cute fabric ordered from Vogue fabrics.  As I began to cut it out I realized the selvedge was too cute to cut off so it became the hem for the bottom and the sleeves as well as the trim for the neck.

This top was a bit of a challenge.  It’s a puckered knit with 50% stretch.  The trick was controlling the stretch.  Well…the solution was Pam Erny’s light weight fusible tricot.  That stuff is golden!  I was able to use it to control the shoulder seam, the sleeve cap and the neck to get a perfectly beautiful neckline in a very stretchy fabric prone to a great deal of “growth”.

sleeve-1 Here’s the sleeve cap showing the pattern, the fabric wrong side up and the strip of interfacing.  For the neck and the sleeves I cut a 1/2 inch strip of interfacing shaped to the pattern piece.  I laid the fabric on the pattern, arranging it perfectly then pinned on the interfacing and fused into place with light pressure.  When the seam was serged  1/4″ was in the serged seam and only 1/4″ remained.  Even though I purposely did not create a tight bond, the interfacing has done it’s work.  I did not show and the sleeve and neckline look fabulous.  You be the judge.

 

 

 

sleeve2 Sleeve pinned in place ready to fuse.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

pined-seam

 

Here I am serging along.  Yes, I have pins, but I pull them out just before they reach the knife….honest!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Greentopdone Didn’t the neck turn out beautifully?  this is the selvedge serged on and the seam allowance is topstitched into place.  The neckline was stabilized with the interfacing trick prior to adding the trim.

 

 

Advertisements

1 Comment (+add yours?)

  1. Ruth
    Jul 07, 2008 @ 22:38:37

    I came across your blog through the creative machine email list and just had to laugh when I saw your fabric choices for the two aprons you made. I chose those same fabrics to make into purses! You can see pics at:
    http://sewchic.blogspot.com/2008/06/fabric-for-birdie-sling.html

    Nice blog with lots of good information! I’ll be back.
    Ruth

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 8 other followers

%d bloggers like this: